Ducks Unlimited Honors Mississippi Heroes Of Conservation
Posted on 7/2/2009 by Ducks Unlimited
Ducks Unlimited will recognize eight Mississippians for their individual conservation commitments in Jackson, Miss., August 1.
The Heroes of Conservation evening, including; dinner, honors presentation, conservation program presentations and an auction, will be held at the Hilton of Jackson.
Event honorees include:
- Billy Joe Cross–past Executive Director of the Mississippi Game and Fish Commission and retired Director of Field Operations for Ducks Unlimited
- Morgan Freeman–actor, conservationist and outdoor activist
- Toxey Haas–CEO of Haas Outdoors
- Richard (Rick) M. Kaminski, Ph.D.–Associate Dean and Professor of Wildlife, College of Forest Resources, Mississippi State University and Holder of the James C. Kennedy Endowed Chair in Waterfowl and Wetlands Conservation
- Will Primos–Founder of Primos Hunting Calls
- Bill Sugg–President of Haas Outdoors
- Melvin Tingle–Host of Mississippi Outdoors television show
- William E. Walker, Jr. (posthumously)–Founder of the Walker Conservation Foundation and Bill’s Dollar Stores.
These gentlemen have made impressive contributions to conservation in Mississippi and elsewhere through their personal careers, philanthropic support of conservation organizations, conservation activities on their own lands, efforts to educate the public about conservation, and through a lifetime of sharing their own passion for the outdoors with those around them.
The evening’s conservation presentations will provide continental and regional perspectives to DU’s conservation efforts. Dr. Scott Stephens, DU director of conservation programs in the Great Plains Regional Office, will present an overview of DU’s work on the breeding grounds, and Jerry Holden, director of conservation programs for the South Mississippi Flyway, will be presenting the overview of DU’s work on the wintering grounds.
The evening will begin at 6 p.m. and is expected to end at 10 p.m. Tickets should be purchased before July 24, and prices are: $100 for single ticket; $150 for couple; $400 for DU sponsorship and couple. Tables are also available. Please contact Maribeth Lane at 601-956-1936 or email@example.com or visit www.ducks.org/heroes for more information.
Mississippi State University’s waterfowl and wetlands science program was recently honored by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The North American Waterfowl Management Plan, a pro...