The Elmer and Egbert Phillips Memorial Forest consisting of 223 acres in Lafayette County was donated in 1973 through the estate of Egbert Phillips of Pontotoc County. Mr. Egbert Phillips and his brother Elmer were born in the 1880's to Dr. Moses Jasper Phillips and Martha Ann Susan Phillips. The Phillips brothers lost their parents early in life and went to live with relatives who taught them a special appreciation for the outdoors.
Egbert donated this land in Lafayette County to create timber revenue for the Elmer and Egbert Phillips Memorial Fund, which is a general university scholarship fund. Egbert also donated land for the Boy Scouts' Camp Phillips.