Award for Distinguished Service to Forestry
Type of Award:
This is an award by the Mississippi Society of American Foresters, to be presented at the annual meeting. It is not mandatory that an award be made annually. Awards will be presented only when suitable candidates are nominated. Upon receipt of nominations, judges may decide by majority vote to forego an award for that year.
- To give official recognition for professional achievements in forestry and superior service to the Society of American Foresters.
- To increase public knowledge of the caliber of professional achievements by individual members of the forestry profession.
- To create more favorable public opinion of the forestry profession.
- Awards will be limited to members (all grades) of the Mississippi Society of American Foresters who are currently in good standing.
- The award will be presented only one time to any individual.
Procedures for Selection:
- On or before September 1, the Society Chair will write to each Chapter Chair requesting nominations for the award. A call for nominations will also be made in the newsletter.
- Individual SAF members of each chapter may submit in writing the names of not more than two nominees from his chapter.
- Nominations will be forwarded not later than October 15. Each nomination will be accompanied by a biographical sketch of not more than 300 words outlining the nominee's participation in SAF work, professional achievement, and community activities. Each nomination will indicate initiating party or parties.
- The judges shall evaluate all nominees not later than November 15, giving the top nominee to the Society Chair.
Click here for a nomination form.